Monday, May 6, 2013

New Stuff

Canon Powershot.  Bit of an experiment.
 
Microsoft Surace RT.  Perfect Dell Mini Replacement.
Those are the new toys.  Not just toys, but also tools for some of the things I love.  I'm typing this up on my new Microsoft Surface RT.  And several of the pictures were taken on my new Canon Powershot (SX260 HS if that means anything to you).  I plan to use both to help me stay mobile and still document some of the fun I get into. 

My last camera was falling apart and dying, so it's nice to have reliable replacement. 

My old computer was getting slower and slower, but I still hope to use it.  I just have to avoid touching the screen on accident.  I'm already pretty well acquainted with the Surface.  I could use a name for him/her still though.  This computer should help me keep track of budgeting, resumes and powerpoints.  Helps me stay more professional outside of work.

In other news, Adela came over for the weekend to join in on some Mission Trip activities.  We had a dinner/auction to raise money for adoptions from CRAN.  I enjoyed holding the microphone and announcing for most of it.  Felt like mealtime at camp.

Then Saturday morning our mission trip group met for the first time.  We had 10 of the 12 people in one room and it was fun to get to know everyone.  We tried some balloon animals and discussed the many different activities we plan to organize and participate in.

Saturday afternoon was gorgeous and we had a Gender Reveal party for some of my dear friends.  Adela and I decided to bike and longboard to the party.  It's a little under 4 miles there and then 4 miles back.  We didn't think we could do it but I figured out that I can pull her along at a pretty steady pace.  So we did it.  It was great.  We were honked at and waved at but mostly people just stared. 
Famous bike boarding.
Many of you have probably seen the effect of the ride back.  There was a sharp downhill and uphill that we switched spots for on the way to the party.  On the way back she decided she wanted to try it.  So I got to watch as the board started wobbling and down she went.  She gave a valiant effort!  She jumped up, tried to run, but I'd guess she was up near the 10mph mark and it's stinking hard to stay on your feet at that speed. 

For the record it was NOT MY FAULT.  I could have forced her to switch but she'd have been super mad then. And in all honesty I thought she could probably pull it off.  And now she's learned some valuable lessons and she also has a nice new pair of super cool jeans with a hole in the knee. 
My new friend, Skipper.
So now I'm out of order, but that's ok.  Saturday morning we stopped at the Math and Science Center to check out the moving sale they were having.  Lots of cool toys and educational equipment.  We snagged 3 slinky's, a gyroscope top, and Skipper.  He's my first desk toy for work.  I hope to someday have a permanent desk to keep him at.  


The cloudy, fiery sunset.
And finally the sunset.  We have had all kinds of trouble with Holland sunsets.  The clouds fight with us, and the rain and the ice.  This week was no exception.  We cut it close on time but caught this fiery sunset. 
 
It's a fun time right now.  I'm happy to be working and right now my department is in the process of posting a Packaging Engineer position.  It's something that is kind of meant for me, but it's possible someone will come along that gets the job because of some legitimate or illegitimate reason.  I'm hoping and praying to get it though.  That would lock me in at a stable company with stable pay in a community I have a heart for. 
 
Have a great start to Summer!  Get outside!



No comments:

Post a Comment