Sunday, December 9, 2012

Filling Up the Schedule

Not having a job leaves me with some time during the days, but it hasn't slowed down my schedule around here.  I mentioned last week that on Wednesday nights my church runs a small program at Verona Elementary.  We play a couple games and then our Youth Pastor, Tim, delivers a quick study on a short verse we ask them to memorize.  

Sometimes the nights are small (like this week when 5th grade camp lowered our numbers), but for the most part we fill the gym.  The kids are... rambunctious... to put it nicely.  But we enjoy showing some love and only time will tell how this impacts their lives.

Tim and Tammy playing Tug of War.
On Monday I joined in on the Harper Creek swim program.  I've been missing coaching swimming and now I'm hoping to join in with my old coach, Chad.  Looks like I'll be helping out there on pretty much any open day and even on some weekends.

This weekend I helped out at their first swim meet of this session.  I spent a lot of time running the team I-pad that allows the coaching staff to slow things down and show kids what they are doing right and wrong during their swims.  I was very impressed with the improvements of all the kids.  Many of them were just learning to swim when I left at the end of 2009 and now they are knocking on the door of middle school state times 3 years later.

The pool at Harper Creek has 8 lanes, which is lots of room for lots of kids.  And a whole other pool in the next school building over.  Lots of room for all levels of swimmers to learn and improve.
When I was a little one I didn't swim, I played floor hockey with Wattles Park Men's Club.  I still wear shirts from Wattles Park that no one understands outside of Battle Creek.  Well I joined in on watching one of the kids from church playing in that league.  The venue is much different, and some of the equipment has improved, but it's still simple floor hockey.

Yeni's team from church was undefeated.  They won this last game of their season.

Still rocking the $6 Starbury shoes here and there.
Finally, we enjoyed a Progressive Dinner with our church.  We journeyed to 3 locations and learned all kinds of things about different folks from church.  At the Penrod's house I decorated their daughters'  room with some toilet paper.  I did an ok job, and I was surprised at how clean the first room was.  Bed made.  Everything kind of put away.  Then the other room was a hot mess.  So for failing inspection I used another roll of toilet paper.
This is what happens when you prank the Penrod's.  
Hopefully that'll be the end of this streak of pranks.  I already lock my car all the time.  But I can't win a 1 on 4 pranking match with that family. I think their parents are just manipulating this anyways. They told me to do decorate the rooms, and I bet they influenced the retaliation.

Busy weeks, like usual.  I also attended Calvary Baptist Church's Christmas musical.  It was very well put together presentation.  I'm enjoying this busy time, but I'd like to fill my days up with some more action.  We'll see how that goes going forward.  Either way, I'm not too worried about it really.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment