Monday, October 24, 2011

The Pumpkin Potluck

I think Isaac Haines was the best dressed.  Just had to keep people from trying to carve him.

Because of the Holidays in November and December, we had our last staff potluck of 2011 this week.  After we ate, the main activity was pumpkin carving.  So many of the men ran to help with dishes while the young families all grabbed their own pumpkins.  I tried to do dishes as well, but found the dish room too crowded.  Eventually Gretchen Ford convinced me to help out with her pumpkin.  I enjoyed trying to give her a hard time about cutting on the lines, but then she dished it right back when I was having trouble.  I think that it was a lot of fun for everybody.


All the pumpkins.  Gretchen is sitting under our pumpkin in a purple shirt.

In other exciting news, I sent in for a new phone this week and I've already received it.  It's kind of weird purchasing new phones with a contract. It feels like I just spent a ton of money, but in reality I've only made a commitment to continue paying my bills.  So I "purchased" a Microsoft KIN and I also snagged a new phone for my Mom.  The KIN had some shaky reviews online, but when Rob was up here a couple weeks ago I was able to get my hands on his.  It looked like it was exactly what I wanted, so I went for it.  I've been getting photos and music onto it and I even figured out how to use WiFi on it.  The KIN has a been a definite upgrade from my last phone which I actually miss a little bit.

 
In the Maintenance Department we've been finishing up the porch on the East Side Dining Hall and now we're keeping our eyes peeled for dead trees all over camp.  This weekend was the 2nd Men's Retreat and the last retreat of the Fall season.  Every retreat has a special meaning to us and to the folks that come up here, but maybe because I am a man I enjoy them more than most of the others.  There are moments where they are a little too competitive and maybe too demanding, but that is dwarfed by the life changes as the weekend progresses.  I don't always get to see the long term results of listening to Tom Harmon while enjoying filling meals and participating in all the camp activities, but I often see flashes.  Flashes of lives renewed, men that rekindle that fire for God, and many who have been sobered when confronted with the reality that they are not where they wanted to be in their relationship with God.

All that to say... pray for Camp and the folks that have visited.  It's something that I try to remember as time flies by and Winter approaches.  Thanks for following!

No comments:

Post a Comment