Monday, October 3, 2011

Playing Catch Up

Playing Catch Up

This was quite the busy week.  After Sunday morning (the 25th) breakfast, five of us packed into a Suburban headed for West Virginia.  We spent Monday rafting and then we drove back on Tuesday.  It's only 10 hours of driving, which is not too bad compared to all of my Michigan Tech trips over the years.  The rafting was a lot of fun.  We were all soaked, but the water was comfortable.  It's very exciting to sit about 3 feet above the water trying to paddle air as the raft crashes down into a huge wave.  I'm happy I had the opportunity to make the trip thanks to someone that offered to help me out. 
Nice clouds on the trip down.
The largest arch bridge in our hemisphere.
I took some pictures as we traveled around, but video of the rafting had a lot of extra footage of other rafts.  I'll try to get that posted as soon as we can edit it down to just our raft.  I'm very thankful I could go on the trip, and that our group all made it out safely.

Preparing to tear up the gable on the front of the East Side Dining Hall.
Now the catch up.  We all lost a work day for the trip, so there was plenty to do this week.  I helped work on putting sheeting on the roof of the East Side Dining Hall.  If the weather holds up this coming week we'll be tearing up the gable on the front of the porch and probably ripping off shingles on the last quarter of the roof.  I also took a break from that to help Mike Alchin put in a post for a light on the Crosscut stairway. 

Half the sheeting is on.  Soon we'll be tearing up shingles.
All of that pretty much put off my cleaning, so on Thursday I just cleaned most of the day.  The only break from cleaning was so that Jeremy Linsley could have a refresher on zipline training.  The training is just to make sure we're all checking for the proper gear at the tower, and then he showed me and Dan Haines how to rescue people in the case of a pulley getting stuck in the middle of the line (which we really don't think will ever happen, but we want to be prepared for it).

I've also been training for a bus test that's coming up in a couple weeks.  Thursday the 13th of this month.  I feel like I know the information well and that I have the driving skills down.  It's just a matter of nailing all the details.  It doesn't take much to fail these tests.  So please pray towards that as I practice this week and then test on it next week.  We only have one more weekend of the ladies, then the men start coming up.  Either way I'm looking forward to seeing familiar faces and meeting new folks as I help host three more weekends this Fall.

Thanks for following!

No comments:

Post a Comment