Monday, January 31, 2011

Old Boots

The snow keeps coming a little bit at a time, but it has been adding up.  For the most part I've mentioned that our work is indoors at Crosscut over the last couple weeks, but with all of that work we've been neglecting the fire wood around camp.  So this week we spent a lot of time splitting wood, then moving it where it's needed, like the West Side Dining Hall and the East Side Chapel.  We also cut a lot of wood down in the woods, and with all this snow that means I need my heavy duty boots.
I've had these boots for something like 12 years.  I think my dad bought them for me one winter when I was in 8th grade.  These boots have been with me through all kinds of sledding, snowshoeing, and now woodcutting.  I'm baffled that any kind of shoes could last this long for me.  Most of my shoes are destroyed within a year.  These boots keep me warm and help me to ignore the deep snow while we fill my truck to the brim with fire wood.  I know it's kind of weird to talk so much about an old pair of boots, but I do thank God for a good pair of old boots.

Retreats keep going along strong.  This week I wasn't scheduled for the tubing hill at all, opening me up to play the boxdrum in chapel a couple times.  After another full weekend of hockey and dishes I woke up on Monday morning with frozen pipes in the trailer.  I couldn't find anything obviously out of place, but we definitely didn't have any water coming through.  Hopefully we'll figure out what's going on in the next couple days.

We're through with 4 weekend retreats and we'll see the first ever Father/Daughter Winter retreat this coming weekend.  Other than that, I just keep busy almost every night, but I'm still missing some of my friends from Battle Creek, and Summer Camp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment