Sunday, March 11, 2012

Spring Projects

It's kind of a crazy time of year.  If I were to retrace my steps from my snowshoeing trip last week I'd be walking on dirt, and some of that dirt would actually be dry.  Today is a beautiful day, but it's kind of hard to go out and play because there is still snow on the ground on sections of the ball fields.  It's still pretty messy in most places.

Last week the maintenance crew started scraping the ceiling of the East Side Dining Hall (ESDH).  There were several vents in the ceiling that had become irrelevant over the years, so we pulled them all out and then installed some insulation, followed by drywall patches.  Dan Haines has been dutifully mudding and remudding the patches, making a seamless surface.
Everything was removed except the cougar.  It still stands guard over the main dining  room.

The ceiling was very busy before the patches.
We've also been screwing in the drywall that is sagging badly.  Some sections are 4 inches lower than they should be, but it's kind of hard to see how bad it is with pictures.  During the original installation they used two layers of drywall, and only glue held the outer layer up.  Well that glue failed after 20 years, and now we're following up by screwing it all back together.

On my first weekend off I planned to spend most my time getting over a fever/cold that had been beating me up all week.  Titus distracted me on Saturday when he called me down to the lake.  He had put together an old rail sled, a Christmas tree stand, some pipes, and a tarp to make a "sail sled".  I tried it once, and it was great fun.  Only pictures and video can really do it justice:
Getting ready to take off.

The wind came and went, but when it gusted, that sled was moving fast.

Now I have my last Bible study with the young men from Fairview.  It's been fun getting to know them a little better.  If they are willing and able I'm hoping to do another study this Spring, before the Summer comes around.  We'll see if it works out again.

Thanks for following!

1 comment:

  1. The sail-sled looks like fun! It would probably stay up better if the base were wider; maybe two sleds hooked would work.

    ReplyDelete