Monday, March 5, 2012

So We Got Some Snow


The weather.  We have all kinds of methods for checking it and preparing for it.  But no one can ever decide how much or when.  Well Friday night we all knew something was coming.  To prepare we shoveled off several of the sketchy roofs around camp (West Side Dining Hall, and Old Headquarters).  The snow didn't even wait for us to fully deliberate, it started early in the afternoon.  It was on and off until the evening when it started dumping on us.  That night at chapel I joined the other Seasonal Staff as we tried to take a lap around the East side cabin circle with shovels.

While Shoveling I noticed the power drop off and on a couple times.  Power going out is usually not a big deal around here.  The programers pride themselves on weathering any type of weather, whether it's good or bad.  So I didn't worry too much about it.  Well sure enough, we had no power all day.  In a surprise twist camp was cancelled.  Because of the cold weather and the lack of power the campers were sent home after dinner on Saturday night.

So we had an adventure on Saturday and Sunday night.  Several families head south for the warmth and comfort of family or friends, but many of us stayed around camp.  The Ford's and the seasonal staff basically take over the East Side Dining Hall.  Because of the generator we're able to play the Wii and watch movies while maintaining the comforts of heat and hot water.  I feel it's the church in Acts.  We have a lot more modern comforts, but we're still sharing electronics, food, shelter, and company.

Power returned in my trailer on Sunday night so I enjoyed my own bed.  Today I went out to enjoy the snow while I still can.  With the weather calling for warmer temperatures, the snow might not last long.  So I busted out the snowshoes.  I went into the National Forest, got lost a little bit, then found my way to the Northstar Bowl, and Eagle's Point.  These sites are familiar to summer staff, but in the Winter they are almost completely different.  Here are some pics:
The West boundary, near Thunder Express.
The Northstar Bowl
Endless trees.
I think of Job 38:22.  Or Chris Tomlin's song referencing that verse.
So the camping season is over.  Now it's time for big projects!  I've been getting lax on my pictures, but I think with a project going on I'll get the bug for taking pictures back.  So look for some pictures of the East Side Dining Hall over the next weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment