Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Back to First Shift

No pictures.  FYI.  I started work and spent some money on my car last week, then got a little behind on the blogging.  Sorry for that.

I took my car into Tuffy because it was making some wheel bearing sounds and not responding like I like.  It was getting kind of fishy.  Well it turned out that me and Tim replaced my brakes backwards on the drivers side front tire.  It wasn't a major mess up, but it didn't sit quite right and the pads were wearing a little crooked.  I also found out that my caliper was never busted, but that a brake line was frozen up.  So they fixed all that up for free while they replaced my wheel bearing.

An older man walked in and started talking like he knew me.  I didn't, but it was fun to talk to him and the Tuffy manager.  Three generations of Battle Creek homers hanging out.

The reason I had time to get my car fixed was that I got sent home from work on Tuesday.  Their computer training program was struggling and they asked me to try again the next day.  I decided as soon as I left that I should try and be productive.  So I got the car fixed and then hustled over to see Adela in Holland.

If you know me, you know I like surprises.  This was a perfect opportunity.  So I snagged a Hyacinth (cause I like how they smell) and a Speedway slushie for Adela.  I casually tried to ascertain her location, but I just missed her in downtown Holland and then she left her dorm room as I arrived there. In the end she received her random plant and unneeded slushie.  She was happy I visited though.

Ok.  So work really started last Wednesday.  I finished the 11 or so hours of training in about 6 hours, which is typical for online safety training.  So I joined my group for the first day on Thursday.  It's been kind of slow going for now, but once I get settled in on a computer and I start chipping away at the different activities.... then I should be good to go.  The other 6 people in my packaging group have been fun to get to know over this last week.

To give you a slight overview of what I understand, we facilitate packaging.  Obviously.  My department specifically looks at the packaging specifications and makes sure everything will fit and is safe for use.  With the many different customers we have, our department stays busy hopping from project to project.  Soon I'll be picking up specific projects and manufacturers that will be my responsibility.

Having fun and looking forward to more responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment