Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving Shenanigans

I'm reading a book called "Team of Rivals" right now.  It's about Abraham Lincoln's Cabinet members.  One of them spent 15 minutes every night reviewing the days activities.  Well that's kind of what I try to do every week.  This was a particularly hard one.
This is probably what I look like while trying to remember things.
So I'm thankful for pictures that remind me of what happened.  On Tuesday of this week I left Battle Creek at 6am so that I could meet the rest of the maintenance crew in Houghton Lake.  We spent the day reviewing Timber Wolf Lake and Springhill Camps.  It was a fun opportunity see how other camps build and maintain their facilities.  
The plane dorm at Springhill.
The inside of the plane dorm.
The whole trip was kind of interesting.  They also had very nice dorms.  These camps have nice things, but they don't have the feel that Camp Barakel has.  From looking at these couple camps I find myself thinking that their facilities are great, but it's not really camping anymore.  It's a conference center.  That didn't stop us from checking out their maintenance department and having some fun during the visit...
Timber Wolf Lake has Go-Karts.  Unbelievable!
This is me before I lap everyone.  Believe that!
So after visiting the camps we headed out to dinner and I hustled home.  It was quite a long day.  The other highlights of the trip included playing volleyball and basketball with some of my friends.  Competitive, organized sports are something I dearly miss at Camp.  Both of them went really well, but my lungs need some stretching out.  

Me and Mom went over to the Ramer's (her friends that live around the corner from us) for Thanksgiving.  There were only 6 people there and I enjoyed that aspect of it.  It's good to have a relatively quiet and calm day to eat and watch the Lions.  

Now I'm preparing to drive back up to camp tonight.  Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment