Monday, January 23, 2012

Winter is Happening

Now is the time when Winter just kind of flies by.  Snow is on the ground.  Campers are skiing and tubing.  I'm doing a lot of dishes and feeling exhausted most weekends.  It's a good season.

Well first thing last week Brad was leaving and he smashed his truck into a tree.  The roads get pretty icy after the sun beats on them all afternoon and that combined with a downhill turned into this:

Yep.  That's about all you need to see.
 The good news is that he was ok.  The airbags went off, but the seat belt held him back from getting slapped by one.  Part of my week was spent helping to get stuff out of the truck and scavenging the tires and the tool box in the bed of the truck.  The tires worked out well and will hopefully be thrown onto one of the trucks we use at camp for going to town. 

Cleaning and sharpening the chainsaws.
This week Mike and I needed to work on the chainsaws.  We put them through a lot of wood, so cleaning and sharpening becomes a normal task.  This week we dropped several large trees in behind one of the staff houses.  It would have been pretty comical to watch us climbing up and down the very steep hill in at least 14 inches of snow.  A couple stories came out of this one adventure.


Me cutting a tree down.  I was aiming too high above my notch.
Looks like a monster was on the loose or something.
 First, I was trying to clean up the brush around the base of a tree so I could maneuver more easily around it.  Sometimes brush grabs the chain and pulls it off the bar.  Well that happened and I felt it tugging on my jeans before I even knew what was happening.  Thankfully it didn't get through to my leg, but it did leave a nice hole in my jeans and a little bit of a hole in my long johns. 

These are from the old Girl's Dorm.  We cut them up for Terry to make sweet tables out of them.
The other great moment was when Mike almost dropped a tree on me.  We're pretty cautious when finishing off a tree.  We keep an eye on each other and make sure we're not in the path of the tree.  Well I was at the bottom of the hill and watching him notch and back cut on a tree.  He had aimed it to go sideways on the hill, but it decided to come straight down to me.  I ran away about 5 steps and turned just in time to see it land about 10 steps behind me.  Whew.

In general it was kind of fun.  We had a lot more snow this week so I spent a fair amount of time cleaning.  I enjoy cleaning in one main way:  I can listen to music and sermons.  So I listened to my new David Crowder Band cd (which has been on repeat for the whole week basically), and I snagged a couple of Alistair Begg sermons.

This is Winter.  Lots of work as the time flies by.  I enjoyed the last Father/Son retreat and now I'm looking forward to more people coming and going over the next several weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment