Monday, May 23, 2011

Jumping to Summer

Summer is starting to happen all around us.  Saturday was the first super hot work day.  I think the first one always catches us off guard here at camp.  We get used to the cold in the Winter, everyone has their own methods of coping with the cold.  Well now we start to get used to the hot heat.  The good news is that the gnats haven't moved in quite yet, although the mosquito's are taking advantage of the open space while they can. 

We've been hard at work to finish off a lot of projects at camp this week.  It becomes a juggling act between cleaning assignments, major projects, and minor projects.  All of them are important, so it's important that we get done everything we can.  I'm happy to say the Staff Room in the East Side Dining Hall is finished.  A lot of hands were able to get in on that, and I think it looks really nice now.  I should say we're finished for our part, there is a cabinet that we've ordered and we'll install when we receive it. 


The Bath House continues progressing.  The boy's side is just waiting on the fixtures for the showers.  Someone offered to fabricate some very nice metal boxes that cover the pipes and will give the showers a smooth, finished appearance.  Over on the girl's side we're lagging behind where I'd like to be.  Some of the glass board is up, but it takes a long time to finish some of the smaller sections around the edges.  Unfortunately we won't finish before the Memorial Day family camp, but it should be finished before summer camp begins.  We're doing what we can to make the shower sections available for the campers this coming weekend. 

Crosscut continues to look more and more like a finished building.  I spent a morning last week knocking down trees to open up some room to expand the parking lot behind Heritage Lodge.  It was a lot of fun to just knock the trees down, then push them to the side.  Jerry is a man who comes up for a week at this time of year and he is truly a work horse.  We we're able to take out about 7 major trees and clean it all up so people could come and go to Crosscut.  I haven't been working too much inside the building lately, but I think we're sitting on go for carpeting and bunk beds.  After that a lot of the work is just finishing up the details.  I think the goal at this point is to get it open for campers sometime this summer.

We just had a Men's Retreat on the West Side and a Mother/Daughter Retreat on the East Side.  My dad came up with the men and the Hulderman's (friends from my childhood) came up with the girls on the East Side.  I really enjoyed getting back into the swing of camp, especially with so many familiar faces coming up.  Calvin and Megan Bradley were here to help out as well.  As summer approaches we continue to tighten everything up to prepare for the arrival of our summer staff, and eventually for our campers. 

This summer I'll be programing on the West Side with Jon Ford and Rob McAdams.  This means I'll be helping Jon and Rob in organizing the activities on the West Side with mostly Junior Campers (Grades 3-6).  I don't know all the details and in and outs of my daily life as a programer, but I know I'll be working closely between the campers, the counselors, and the other programers.  The schedule is hardy for a programer, consisting of late nights trying to hammer out details for the week and to keep things running smoothly.  Please pray for me as the summer begins.  Pray that I'd keep a good attitude in stressful situations, and that I'd have the energy to keep working hard throughout the summer. 

Another note on the same train of thought.  With the way the summer goes so quickly I'm not sure how consistent the blogging will be over the summer.  I enjoy getting out some pictures and information on what I'm working on here, but the schedule may take away from the blog.  Thanks for following, and please be patient with me over the next 3 months.


No comments:

Post a Comment