Monday, May 9, 2011

Co Labor Challenge 1

This week was the first of two Co Labor challenges.  It's similar to the Jack and Jill weekend we had last year in October.  This time we invite work groups from all over our region to come up and work for about 6 hours.  They spend the night Friday night, then we provide them with meals on Saturday before sending them off after some free time and dinner Saturday evening.  My crew was from Northville and we were part of a large group that raked the West Side.  The four crews that were on the West Side did some leapfrogging as we worked all the way across the West Side.  Other crews set toilets in Crosscut Lodge, spread wood chips on both sides of camp, and tore down the ceiling of the girls side of the Bath House. 

It's amazing to see the work that we're able to accomplish in such a short time.  At 3:15pm we have some free time.  I spent my time life guarding at the water front where I had about 17 swimmers brave the cold water.  Several others enjoyed kayaks on the sunny day. 


As for the regular work week, we finished up the boys side of the Bath House except for cleaning and some odds and ends.  I'll be working with Mike Baker and Mike Alchin on tackling some of the girls side this week.  In the meantime Dan Haines dominated some more tile in the East Side Dining Hall Staff Room.  That project is nearing completion as we just have to lay carpet and wallpaper. 

It's a joy to work as the weather warms up and our schedule continues to be full of important projects around camp.  I'll be trying to meet with Jon Ford this week to discuss my role for the summer.  Please pray for the summer, and our ministry to the kids that will come up throughout the next 3 months.  I'm also getting tighter on money.  God has been good over this straight 17 months of work at Camp Barakel, and I'm praying that He would continue to provide as I try to make it a full 2 years.

Thanks for following!

No comments:

Post a Comment