Monday, October 25, 2010

Upcoming Reading

We had a cold and wet weekend here for our Men's Retreat this weekend.  That doesn't slow us down too much here at camp though.  We still saw Bain, a German Shepherd in with the Michigan State Police K9 unit.  His partner performs a demonstration of the dogs tracking ability as well as his ability to aid in apprehending a suspect.  The men really enjoy seeing the dog run at full speed, grab a mans well padded hand, and drag him to the ground.  We also enjoyed a good game of flag football in the Saturday afternoon drizzle.  The weather turned out great today and the sun even came out in the afternoon.


As we wrap up the fall retreat season I've been looking at my reading habits and considering how they'll change in the next couple months. I'm working on an Old Testament reading plan that includes a Psalm and a couple chapters from the rest of the books.  It's spread out over the year, so it will wrap up in December.  In January I'll be starting over and this time including the New Testament readings.  Otherwise I've not been reading much consistently and I plan to change that.


These are the books that I plan to read over the next 6 months:

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Timothy Keller:  My dad suggested this book and I can go either way on biographies.  I'm hoping this will fill in some of the pre-WWII details from a new perspective. 
Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis:  I've read these many times and the allegory is great in them.  They add up to a lot of pages, but I can usually scoot through them pretty quick when I get into the stories.
Peter Pan by JM Berrie:  One of my favorite fairy tales and one that I can relate to in many ways.  I love the picture of the boy refusing to give up his youth.
The Civil War by Shelby Foote:  A set of 3 ridiculously large books.  My friend Rob McAdams owns them and I've gone through them once before.  The narrative covers the war from a very neutral perspective while keeping me interested in the people that fought in it. 

It'll be a long shot to complete them all, especially with the Civil War series.  I also have a bunch of other books I might get into over that time. 


Next to the book shelf I have what Rob calls my "Pop Tarts Shrine".  It's not quite that, but I do love to eat pop tarts.  I need the energy anyways with all the work we've been doing and that we plan to complete this fall. Last week we spent time fixing some ceiling paneling in the great room of Crosscut Lodge.  We also moved in 3000 pounds of tile and we'll be moving more in over the next weeks.  We're also looking for any chances that the weather will give us to shingle another corner of the East Side Dining Hall roof. 


We're staying busy up here at camp in the Fall.  Please pray for guidance and safety as we attack a long list of projects this Fall.


2 comments:

  1. wow you sound ambitious! I have to admit I tried and failed on the whole Chronicles of Narnia thing... the book is even sitting on my shelf. but I see you have The Great Divorce sitting there, definitely one of my favorite books ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just picked that out to read again! I'm going to try and take notes this time through.

    ReplyDelete