Monday, October 15, 2012

A New Ride

This was a bit of an odd week.  Normal work on Tuesday, then a normal day of cleaning on Wednesday.  Thursday was a little different though.  My dad came late on Wednesday night to spend a couple days with me before the Men's Retreat this weekend.  He joined the maintenance crew on a trip to CoBeAc Camp and Pleasant Valley Camp.

We like to check out other camps to see what kind of new ideas and interesting methods that have.  We also share some of our ideas.  It's really fun to coordinate with other people doing very similar work.  These meetings could be competitive, but I think because of our joint goal of spreading the Gospel there is a lot more cooperation.

That took up almost all of Thursday and then our Friday was a little different than normal as well.  Usually we don't work the whole afternoon because we have so many assignments in the evening, but for the Men's Retreat we open up some activity areas at 2pm, so I took it a little easy on the morning.  The main task I wanted to complete was moving fire wood into the East Side Chapel so that the men would have a lot of fuel to pour into the fireplaces.

We used Brad's truck so that we wouldn't have to worry about getting stuck outside the chapel.
So we didn't do much with the house this week.  We've moved into the secondary bedroom and we're trying raise the roof so it will be level before we raise the ceiling underneath.  Then it will be a quick matter of insulation and drywall after that.  It's fun to be plowing through such a big project so quickly.

All kinds of walls in this room.  And flooring too.
The men's retreat went well.  I enjoyed seeing lots of people I've met at camp as well as several from home. It was a super rainy weekend, but most of the guys seemed to make the best of it anyways.  The most disappointing part of the rain for me was that I couldn't ride my new toy around.  Dad brought a motorcycle for me to play around with as I travel to and fro.

I like the working headlight and the push button starter.
I'll only have another month to ride around on the bike.  That's right.  I'll be leaving camp for Battle Creek the Friday before Thanksgiving.  So that is about the 16th of November pending a change schedule.  This means moving back south, and finding a job, hopefully in the Battle Creek area.  We'll see though.  I'm really not worried about the details yet, but hopefully I'll have something going by January or so.

Thanks for following.  Only two more camp weekends!

2 comments:

  1. that picture of the interior of the house has me all turned around, what is that picture looking at?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the bedroom that was two small bedrooms and is now one big one. The window looks into the porch there. Hard to tell with the interior wall gone and the desk gone too.

    ReplyDelete