Monday, October 15, 2012

A Letter to Camp Staff

The following is a letter I am sending out to Camp Barakel staff today.  It has relevent information for pretty much anybody though.  You will noticed it's written to the staff though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Camp Barakel Staff,

My status as Seasonal Staff will be ending in mid November, and I’d like to keep all of you up to date on what’s going on, and why.

It’s been about 3 years since I moved up here.  I was just looking at my notes regarding the details of Seasonal Staff that I had sorted out with Dave Douglas.  Certain phrases stick out to me now, such as: “half a day shoveling”, “fire wood cutting and insulation”, “Titus Brown”, “Leave mid March”.  All of my notes carry a completely different meaning to me after spending so much time performing each of those tasks.  In the summers I fulfilled almost every role I was qualified to do, spending time with my best friend (Rob) along the way.  Being at Camp for these 3 years has been a fantastic, life changing experience.

But, it’s called “Seasonal” Staff for a reason.  This particular season of my life is reaching its end.  There are a wide variety of reasons that I’ll be leaving, and I’d like to share some of them with everyone so it’s clear.
·  I’m nearly out of money.  I haven’t sent out very much about support this year, mostly because I felt my time here would be ending, so I wanted to try to make it through the last bit on my own funds and on what God provided independently of that.  I have received a lot of support in my time here, including a couple people who have supported me throughout my whole time here.  And don't let me forget you folks with you meals and outright monetary support at times.  I thank God for the ability to live mostly off of my own savings along with support from friends and family.
·  The 2 year Seasonal Staff limit.  My understanding of this limit is that it’s not a hard and fast rule. There is wisdom in it though.  I can see that because of my time here.  The longer I stay here, the more attached I am to this place, and the people that live and work here.  It’s not going to be permanent at this point though, so I believe going home and maintaining relationships in Battle Creek will be a good thing.
There are more reasons to leave, and I could go into greater detail about those two reasons.  But I won’t for now.  Any of you are free to ask me more about this process if you wish.  

Leaving is certainly not all bad.  Here are some things I’m looking forward to doing:
·     Sports.  Volleyball, Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee.  Competitive and Leisure.  It’s all good and I’m looking forward to all of them.  An average week at home sees me playing 3 different competitive sports.
·     Church.  I love my church at home, and the people in it.  It will be good for me to reconnect with the youth in the Battle Creek with a renewed zeal for the Gospel.
·     Friends and Family.  My Mom will love to have me home as most mothers can probably relate.  I also have many friends who I will enjoy getting close with again.  This includes Adela Aguilera who I’ve been dating since the week off after Summer.  (The way you’re supposed to do it Rob!).
You’ll notice all of these include fellowship.  I’ve loved being in fellowship with all of you here at camp, and I plan to maintain that fellowship as best I can.  Camp holds a special place in my heart.  I can easily say that I would like to be on Full Time Staff, but I feel like there is lots of time for that to happen.  I plan to keep camp in mind in my future plans, whether it’s through Part Time, Full Time, or even a future stint as Seasonal staff.

Keep me in your prayers.  Transitioning back into the engineering world could be very difficult, but I’m really not worried about it.  The plan is to go home the Friday (November 16th) before Thanksgiving and to try and find a job by the start of the new year.  I believe God will provide, just as he has since the day I was born, and even before the creation of the world.   

Looking back at 3 years of service, it brings to mind the “Desert Song” that I have on a Hillsong cd.  The particular line reads, “I know I’m filled to be emptied again, the seed I’ve received I will sow”.   In my 3 years of engineering God was filling my wallet with money, and my heart with service.  We get used to it, but the service here is intense.  It’s emptied me in some ways, and I’m ready to go home and let God fill me once more.

Thankfully yours,          

Cody
1126 Frisbie Blvd
Springfield, MI
49037

No comments:

Post a Comment