Monday, September 19, 2011

Deck Project

Tearing out deckboards.
Frost has been greeting us in the mornings up here at camp as we literally tear into the deck on the East Side Dining Hall.  As clouds come and go it warms up and cools down at the work site.  It's weird to think of the hours of work put into constructing this deck turns into about 10 minutes of me slamming it with a sledgehammer.  That worked for the spindles, but the decking was a lot more work.  Soon enough we had half of the deck torn apart and we were already installing new posts and new deck boards. 

The stripped down deck.
Dan Haines cutting new deck boards.
Most of my pictures on this will be from the same spots, but I think it will be fun to see how the porch starts to form, leading up to roofing the last quarter of the dining hall.  Just a stone throw away Mike Alchin has been working on a leaky water tank that feeds the whole East Side of camp.  It's buried underground and looks about like an in ground swimming pool.  It's been debated a little, but it sounds like the tank was probably installed in the early 70's. 

We also spent some time hauling equipment away from Crosscut.  Why?  Because it was used by campers this weekend!  There is still some more work to do, but it is a fully functional lodge at this point.  Thank God for the hard work and money that people were willing to sacrifice for this place where God has blessed.

I'm getting used to the Fall schedule, and I really enjoy the Fall weekends.  This weekend I helped out by driving the younger boys on the East Side to their chapel on the West Side.  I enjoy getting to know the kids a little, and also talking to them out at Thunder Express.  As for me, I've been spending most of my time working, but I've also had time to play soccer, watch some movies, and even a little mountain biking.  I borrowed the new head mounted camera from camp, and here's a video of a quick ride on the shortcut from the Program Center to the Trailer.


No comments:

Post a Comment