Monday, April 4, 2011

Projects

After finishing up the cleaning on the East Side this week, we've been able to attack the staff room of the East Side Dining Hall.  The carpet is all out and we've placed cement board under the main walkway in preparation for tile that will cover that section.  We've also tied up some loose ends around camp including the Hillbilly Porch.  It's a fun little porch that we used to greet the campers on the West Side this Winter.  It's kind of rickety, so picking it up can be quite a challenge.  Like usual, Mike used his Skytrak wizardry to move it back into the maintenance yard fairly quickly.


Another project was justed started on Friday too.  The Bath House on the West Side needs a lot of improvements, and we are working on the ceilings.  Our first step in replacing them is to get all the insulation out.  Well Mike Baker went up there to cut a hole in the ceiling and start dumping it through.  Since there are no lights up in the attic, Mike had to take a headlamp and a dust mask to try to deal with the enclosed space.  Once there, he found three layers of insulations.  It's not a joke, we've been dealing with styrofoam, rolled, and blown insulation.  To help get it all out of the attic with a minimal mess, Mike brought a caterpillar play tube from his house.  So while he slaved in the attic I just swapped out trash cans at the bottom of the tube and carried them out to the truck.

Now I'm home for Spring Break.  I spent Saturday playing in an Ultimate Frisbee tournament with my good friend from college, Evan Winer.  Our team was a mash up of experienced players and we didn't play really well together, but I think everyone had a lot of fun.  Usually after spending time in Grand Rapids I enjoy an early morning ride through the country.  I don't know if it brings me back to my childhood in East Leroy or if it reminds me of my Grandpa's house near Duck Lake, but I've always enjoyed the rising sun as I cruise towards Battle Creek.


No comments:

Post a Comment