Sunday, November 21, 2010

Seasonal Stretch and Extra Help

I've been the only Seasonal staff guy all Fall so far, and this week has shown how we could use a couple more.  We worked on four major projects this week, and I ended up helping with all of them in some way or another.  
Most of my work has been with Dan Haines in Crosscut.  We've been putting up stone around the great room.  It's quite a bit of mixing mud and careful placement of pieces, but it looks good with the room.  We've had help from Titus Brown and Brad Smith along the way.  

Mike Baker has been working on the new porch for Pine Cabin, finishing up the ceiling.  His Father-in-Law came for a morning and helped Mike with some of the cutting.  I also helped out with lifting some of the large plywood ceiling pieces that were too big for one person.  In the meantime Mike Alchin has replaced some tile in the East Side Dining Hall while also replacing and repairing many of the lights in Snow Valley.  I was able to use the Skytrak to lift Mike and an electrician that offered us some help this week.  

Even with all the extra workers we had throughout the week, I ended up getting pulled back and forth a little bit.  Sometimes the guys just need an extra pair of hands.  It was the first time I could really see that having a couple more guys on seasonal staff makes it a lot easier to get a lot of work done.  It was neat to see some of the unexpected help that showed up during such a busy week of work.

On Friday I left camp for a week at home.  On the way I stopped in Rochester to see some of the summer staff.  One of the greatest things about camp has been the people I've been able to meet from all over.  I'm trying to use my trips to and from camp as opportunities to keep those relationships up.  With the holiday season approaching, I'm hoping I can take advantage of the opportunities to swing to Grand Rapids, Lansing, and Detroit to catch up with friends.  

That's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment