Tuesday, November 9, 2010

New Stuff and Old Stuff

We just had our first full weekend off this Fall.  Many of the staff families traveled accross the state to visit family and friends that often get neglected during our 6 day work week during the retreat seasons.  With a weekend off comes a normal work schedule too.  We've now transferred to a 5 day, 8am-5pm work schedule.  A lot of folks around here enjoy going to church like normal for the few weekends we are able to.

I chose to spend my first weekend at home.  When I go home my two main goals are to catch up with friends and to surf the internet.  That's two things I don't get to do much at camp.  So for this trip I stopped in St Johns to drop off a lost and found Bible and then I ended up spending the rest of the day bowling and hanging out at the famous Davis house.  After that, I pretty much turned into a loaf.  I spent Saturday morning waiting for a replacement phone, and trying to get my contacts back up to date.  Sunday was great as I was able to play drums at Garrison Hills.  After church I headed up to camp, hooking up with the Ford family caravan along the way.

As for work, we powered through a quarter of the East Side Dining Hall roof in about 3 full weeks of work.  It's really nice to see the project get so close to the end.  Now, as a break from shingling the Dining Hall we are... you guessed it!  Shingling Pine Cabin.  We're hoping it'll be a much simpler shingling job without a valley or so many pipes sticking out of the roof.  It can't be too simple though, so we're also adding a porch to the front of the cabin.  It'll be a large porch with enough room for benches under, very similar to Heritage Lodge.  I can already see important conversations between counselors and campers happening on it. 

With Winter and the holidays approaching I'm looking forward to several trips home, and some time to relax with friends.  In the meantime the work doesn't stop at Camp Barakel.  Pray for safety as we run around on yet another frosty roof!

No comments:

Post a Comment