Monday, February 13, 2012

An Impromptu Trip

This is one of those weeks.  So much has happened I can hardly remember it all really.  What did I do on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday?  Well we spent time cutting trees near the highway, and trimming up an enormous pine tree that fell down near the West Side Waterfront.  I cleaned Pine and Tamarack cabins as well.  Mike Baker and I also replaced a 4x4 that had been whacked by about three different people.
We found a note on the pole reading, "Timothy G Houston- At your service"
On Friday the maintenance crew joined together with the programers to move snow from various snow drifts over to the tubing hill.  With three trucks we were able to thoroughly cover both of the tubing runs and the tow rope with something like 10-14 loads over 2 hours (someone could estimate better perhaps...).  It's one of the most grueling tasks that we have at camp, but if the weather pans out it can save the hill for the weekend.  This particular Friday it dropped about 3 inches of snow right on top of our work.  Just what we needed!

So the snow came just in time for the couples weekend.  The rest of the state also received snow on Friday, but it wasn't as welcome on I-75 where a large pile up of cars hindered many of the campers.  The chapel on the West Side (Teen Retreat) was actually delayed for the arrival of several groups.  The vast majority of campers weathered the weather and enjoyed the benefits of the fresh snowfall at camp.

Now for the reason I can hardly remember the early part of the week!  Some of my coworkers encouraged me to take a trip to Chicago.  Lately Chicago has been a good place for me visit because Rob and Elizabeth live just north of the city.  Makes it easy to stay here.  Between them and a couple friends at Moody I always know I have a lot of exciting things to do here.  Any other friends that happen to show up are also a bonus.

I left camp Saturday evening, joined in the worship service at Garrison Hills, then burst forth towards Chicago on Sunday afternoon.  Now I'm here and I'm having a great time.  Here are the pictures from so far:
The city from the 96th floor of the Hancock Building.
General Logan.  From memory I think he was a competent General from the army of the West.
My new favorite president.  He barely beats out John Adams.
Nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment