Sunday, December 12, 2010

Freezing Florida

Two of my friends from Battle Creek moved down to Florida about 3 years ago.  They've offered to put me up whenever I can make it into Jacksonville, and I've taken them up on that 3 times now.  This week is the 4th trip down to Florida.  Someone pointed out cheap tickets, so I purchased one and headed down.
For the first few days I spent a lot of time relaxing at the house while Steve and Jen worked at their school a couple blocks away.  I spent a fair amount of time reading on the new porch they've added since my last visit.  I was also able to help out with Steve's junior high soccer team.  After the Barakel fun run last week my legs were still pretty sore, and these junior high schoolers took advantage.  Part of helping the team out was watching their game on Friday night.  These talented kids mercied the other team 8-0 in the first half, and that's with most of their players pulled back onto defense.  It's fun to see these skilled kids dominating, but also just having fun playing the sport they like.
The temperature was fairly cold, but not anything like what Michigan has been experiencing this week.  So we made our way around town.  We played disc golf, ate at some fine dining establishments, attended their church, and then Steve had a special surprise for me Sunday afternoon.  I didn't know it, but he'd been planning to take me to a Jaguars game.  So after finding tickets online we ran over to pick them up, then hustled over to the game just a couple minutes into the first quarter.  It's been a long time goal of mine to see a game of each of the 4 major leagues.  I've been to several Red Wings games, a couple of Pistons games, and a Tigers game.  The game was fantastic with lots of scoring and it wasn't decided until the last minute.
It's been a good trip to Florida and we still have a couple more days, but I am looking forward to seeing some snow in Michigan.  Hopefully we'll get another round of disc golf in, and some more practices with the soccer team.  Thanks for following, and I look to seeing many of you over the next couple weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment